Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Mrkvm's pick of the week for 3/21/07

A new segment here at the Corps! Every week I'll do a quick post highlighting my favorite book from the most recent week of goodies. I know, I know, kind of an obvious thing to do, but maybe it will inspire my cohorts to do picks of their own.

If there's a better super hero book coming out right than Justice Society of America, I don't know what it is. Geoff Johns and Dale Eaglesham have blown my expectations out of the water with every issue. There's just so much to love here; from the development of the Cyclone character to the strange antics of the latest iteration of Starman and everything in between.

This week we get some tasty development for Damage as well as more for the new Wildcat. Plus, Power Girl rightfully claims the role of chairwoman (jeez, thanks Geoff Johns, you've made me a Power Girl fan...how much lower can I sink?).

Yeah, I'm pretty much completely invested in all the characters and their various storylines. Maybe it's too easy, but I'm also totally digging the incorporation of Kingdom Come-esque elements into the current DCU.

So, the first story arc has wrapped up nicely, and I'm completely floored for the JLA/JSA crossover (I really need to post some about Meltzer's excellent work on that other DCU team book too!).

Reading this one? Give me your thoughts, theories, etc.!

Not reading this one? Um, why not?

3 comments:

Mike Maximus said...

I agree partner. I think that Johns has taken this superhero team once again to a place they have needed to be. I love the old school ideas being mixed in with new story telling. I think we will witness a great event in the upcoming JSA/JLA x-over!!!

Fans...you MUST read this book.

Unknown said...

I was going to post about this issue and proclaim that this was why we read comics...but you beat me to it. :)

This became one of my very favorite books with the very first issue, and has stayed great every issue. Nothing beats a Geoff Johns book!

mrkvm said...

Hey, jgd3, nothing is stopping you from doing your own post about why this book is so great! I'd love read your insights here, as you invariably pick up on different stuff than I do.