Thursday, May 31, 2007

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #30 Ramblings

First off, goodbye to Mark Waid and Barry Kitson, who overall did a great job on this current iteration of the Legion. This is actually the first time I've read a Legion book, and it was a blast.

It's too bad Waid and Kitson didn't get to work this story uninterrupted, but I thought the fill-in teams did a spectacular job of keeping a continuity of voice/style. My only real problem is that this issue has, at times, a "rush to pack everything we wanted to do in" feel to it. They could have almost used one more issue to wrap things up. I think I'm going to go back and read the whole story in one go and see how it all holds together.

Alright now, kids, spoilers ahead...


The resolution of the Wanderers/Dominators storyline completely works for me. Sure, the phantom zone is being used as a bit of a Deus Ex Machina here, but I thought it was well-played. And you just know there's no way Cos would kill a whole race outright. Plus, it keeps Mon-El out there to be used in the future.

But what I really wanted to talk about was the end. I'm sorry, but if you aren't geeking out about the Knights Tempus, Galactic Defenders Of The 41st Century, then you don't really care about the DC Universe, do you? :-)

Just how great is that? Of course there's more future in the DCU than just the 31st century, and this opens things up to more continuity/timeline insanity, which I'm growing to just embrace as part of being a DC fan. Here's hoping someone runs with this concept somewhere (the new Booster Gold series might be a good place to start).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah seriously - how cool is it that the LSH, ten centuries into our future, inspires a team ten centuries into their future? Awesome!

I agree that Waid & Kitson had to compress so much into this issue that I wish they'd had another couple to play with, but you can't fault the execution - nothing seemed sloppy or misplaced.

I've got a lot of excitement about the next chapter of the Legion, and that's thanks to the outstanding work that Waid and Kitson did to re-vamp the concept for the 21st century. Great work, gentlemen!