Saturday, April 14, 2007

It's gonna be a Black Summer

One of my favorite writers, Warren Ellis, is going to be messing with heads everywhere this August (well, more so than usual I guess). It all started with a dare from Avatar Press chief William Christensen:

"...[H]e bet me I couldn't come up with a high-concept superhero 'event' book that naturally featured all new characters and ideas, but also hit some of the notes of a standard Big Two event program. Huge technical challenge, and I like those, because they keep me sharp. It took me more than a year, mind you... Until I hit on the two ideas. What if a superhero killed the President? And the underpinning: where do you draw the line?"
And thus was born Black Summer.

With art from Juan Jose Ryp (he who draws like Geof Darrow on acid) and published by Avatar (they who are known for anything but superhero books), I don't think this is going to be quite like anything we've seen before. All of which totally guarantees I'll be buying it.

No comments: